News In 5 Minutes

News When You Want It

Prince Andrew latest: Duke’s lawyers set for face-to-face showdown on sexual assault case | Royal | News


A pre-trial hearing is taking place over sexual abuse claims made against the Duke of York by Ms Giuffre. The legal teams for Andrew, 61 and his accuser will come together in-person at the US District Court For The Southern District Of New York.

Their lawyers will discuss the progress of the civil case, which Ms Giuffre filed under New York’s Child Victims Act on August 10.

Representatives for both the royal and his accuser will appear before Judge Lewis K Kaplan for these conversations.

The pre-trial hearing is scheduled for 10am Eastern Daylight Time, 3pm UK time.

The royal is at the centre of a civil sex abuse claim brought against him by Ms Giuffre – previously Virginia Roberts.

Within the civil suit, she alleges she was trafficked by convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein to have sex with the Duke on three separate occasions when she was underage according to US law.

She alleges these instances took place in the London home of Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell, and twice at Epstein’s homes in Manhattan and the US Virgin Islands.

Prince Andrew has consistently denied all the allegations against him.

During an interview with BBC Newsnight in 2019, he said: “It didn’t happen. I can absolutely categorically tell you it never happened. I have no recollection of ever meeting this lady, none whatsoever.”

LIVE UPDATES: Royal Family LIVE: Meghan and Harry could christen Lilibet in US

The Metropolitan Police conducted a review into a document released in August 2021 as part of the civil action in the US.

They also reviewed information passed to them by the media in June 2021.

The force said the review was complete and “no further action” would be taken.

As Ms Giuffre’s civil claims are being brought under the New York Child Victims Act (CVA), there isn’t any legal standing for the court’s rulings to be upheld in the UK.



Source link