News In 5 Minutes

News When You Want It

Donald Trump: Twitter account ‘made by team to share his statements’ is SUSPENDED | World | News


Twitter suspended Mr Trump from the platform over its ‘Glorification of Violence policy’, after supporters of the former President stormed the US Capitol on January 6. Five people died as a result of the riot. Since then, Mr Trump has set up his Office of the Former President to issues statements, but has not yet made a return to social media.

An account called @DJTDesk was set up to share the former President’s personal statements.

The account’s bio section stated that the handle would be featuring “Posts copied from Save America on behalf of the 45th POTUS; Originally composed via DonaldJTrump/Desk.”

The posts appeared to share statements from Mr Trump’s new website called “From the Desk of Donald J. Trump,” which allowed him to post comments, images and videos.

Fans of the former President can share his posts from the website to their own social media accounts.

READ MORE: Lisa Nandy admits defeat in Hartlepool by-election

On Wednesday, Twitter shut down the new Trump-linked account within hours of it being set up.

In a statement to NBC News, a Twitter spokesperson said the account violated its “ban evasion policy”.

They said: “As stated in our ban evasion policy, we’ll take enforcement action on accounts whose apparent intent is to replace or promote content affiliated with a suspended account.”

Jason Miller, a spokesman for Trump, insisted the account was not set up by, or with the permission of, anyone affiliated with the former President.

Mr Trump has raged against social media companies for their alleged attacks on “free speech”.

He said on his website on Wednesday: “What Facebook, Twitter, and Google have done is a total disgrace and an embarrassment to our Country.

“Free Speech has been taken away from the President of the United States because the Radical Left Lunatics are afraid of the truth, but the truth will come out anyway, bigger and stronger than ever before.

“The People of our Country will not stand for it!

“These corrupt social media companies must pay a political price, and must never again be allowed to destroy and decimate our Electoral Process.”

DON’T MISS…

Following the January Capitol riots, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and other social media companies all suspended and banned Mr Trump from their platforms.

Facebook’s oversight board upheld the former President’s ban and concluded that two posts by Mr Trump “severely violated” Facebook’s Community Standard.

But they added it was “not appropriate” for the social network to impose “the indeterminate and standardless penalty of indefinite suspension”.

The board said in a statement: “Given the seriousness of the violations and the ongoing risk of violence, Facebook was justified in suspending Mr Trump’s accounts on January 6 and extending that suspension on January 7.

“However, it was not appropriate for Facebook to impose an ‘indefinite’ suspension.

“It is not permissible for Facebook to keep a user off the platform for an undefined period, with no criteria for when or whether the account will be restored.”



Source link