News In 5 Minutes

News When You Want It

Gibraltar news: Spanish fishermen threaten to ‘cut Rock off’ after angry clash | World | News


The incident occurred early on Wednesday morning, with claiming a vessel crossing the bay from the village of La Atunara was challenged by a vessel which he alleged belonged to Royal Police, prompting an angry altercation. Mr Fernandez told Spanish newspaper Diario Area: “They were not allowed to cross.

“We cannot continue like this.

“They have taken over the bay and in Madrid they ignore us and shrug their shoulders.”

Mr Fernandez claimed he was ready to stage demonstrations with the intention of disrupting shipping in and out of Gibraltar.

Last year, he organised a protest aimed at highlighting what he claimed were “continuous episodes of harassment” by the Royal Gibraltar Police.

Mr Fernandez described the situation as “unsustainable for Spanish ships that fish on the coastline of La Linea”.

Earlier last year, he was tried – and subsequently cleared – over allegations that he participated in the theft of concrete blocks which thrown into the sea by the Government of Chief Minister Fabian Picardo in 2014.

In total, 74 blocks were dropped into the sea in 2013, with Gibraltar saying the intention was to create an artificial reef and encourage sea life to flourish.

Spain protested the move would disrupt the activities of its fishing vessels.

Mr Fernandez, who insisted he had “nothing to do with this matter”, nevertheless said if it had been up to him he would have removed “not just one but all of the blocks”.

He subsequently appeared in court and was cleared of the charge in March.

Gibraltar, which is located on the southern tip of Spain, has been in British hands since the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713.

The Royal Gibraltar Police and Gibraltar Government said they would not comment on the matter when approached by Express.co.uk

(Additional reporting by Maria Ortega)



Source link