The £500 grant is known as the Sure Start Maternity Grant, and some recipients of Universal Credit and other benefits may be eligible. The payment is a one-off lump sum that is intended to help towards the immediate costs of caring for the person’s new baby.
Work and Pensions Lords Minister Baroness Stedman-Scott said: “Every child deserves the best possible start in life and the Sure Start Maternity Grant gives families an extra financial boost to help towards the costs of having a baby.”
Who is eligible for the grant?
It may be a person is eligible if both of the following apply:
- They are expecting their first child, or a multiple birth for the first time (such as twins or triplets) and already have a child
- The individual and or their partner are already receiving certain benefits.
The list of benefits with regards to eligibility are:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
- Universal Credit
To find out details of local deals in your area, please fill in your postcode below.
How to claim the grant
To claim the Sure Start Maternity Grant, the person needs to fill in the Sure Start Maternity Grant form.
Should a person need any help with their claim, they are directed to contact the Sure Start Maternity Grant helpline on 0800 169 0140.
To claim this grant, you’ll need to fill in the Sure Start Maternity Grant form. If you need any help with your claim, contact the Sure Start Maternity Grant helpline on 0800 169 0140.